University of Portsmouth is Top 21 university in the UK (The Guardian University Guide, 2020), the best university in the UK for boosting graduate salaries (The Economist, 2017). University is based in Portsmouth,one of the most affordable, student-friendly cities in the country.
Portsmouth is in the top 10 most-affordable places in the UK to live as a student, according to the 2019 NatWest Student Living Index – so living and studying here won’t break the bank. University of Portsmouth is one of a select band of universities with a Gold rating in the Government-backed Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) – which means their teaching, learning and student outcomes are outstanding and among the highest quality in the UK.
- 82%: the percentage of our graduates in professional/managerial level roles
- £23,800: the average salary for our graduates, six months after graduating
- 1 in 4: we were one of only four universities in the south east to receive the highest 'Gold' rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework
- 45-55: our ratio of female and male students
- £5.9 million: the amount offered each year in bursaries and hardship funds to our students
- 1869: the date of our earliest incarnation
Whether you're thinking about applying for uni as an undergraduate, postgraduate or international student, all the information you need to make the right choice for you is here – from how to choose a course that meets your needs, to finding student accommodation that fits your budget.
- ACCOUNTING, ECONOMICS AND FINANCE
- ARCHITECTURE AND SURVEYING
- BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
- BUSINESS, MANAGEMENT AND MARKETING
- CHILDHOOD, YOUTH STUDIES AND EDUCATION
- COMPUTER GAMES, ANIMATION AND DIGITAL TECHNOLOGIES
- CRIMINOLOGY AND FORENSIC STUDIES
- DRAMA, MUSIC AND PERFORMING ARTS
- EARTH SCIENCES
- ENGLISH AND CREATIVE WRITING
- FASHION, PHOTOGRAPHY, GRAPHIC ARTS AND DESIGN
- FILM AND TELEVISION
- GEOGRAPHY AND ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE
- HEALTHCARE AND SOCIAL CARE
- HISTORY, POLITICS, INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND SOCIOLOGY
- MATHEMATICS AND PHYSICS
- MEDIA AND JOURNALISM
- SPORT SCIENCE
- Ranked 21 by Guardian University Guide 2020
- Ranked 49 by Times Higher Education 2020
We're the number one university in the UK for boosting graduate salaries, according to The Economist.
We're a top 30 UK university for teaching quality and student experience, according to The Times Good University Guide 2019.
QS World University Rankings gave us five stars for excellence in teaching and internationalisation.
Students in Portsmouth have the highest term-time income making these locations some of the most cost efficient places to study in the UK.
The NatWest Student Living Index surveyed 2,500 students across the UK to determine the most affordable place to study. The survey takes into account a range of factors, from how much students spend on going out to how much time they spend studying.
Portsmouth students pay slightly more rent than the UK average but are topping up their term-time income by working around 25% more hours in part-time jobs. However students there still have time to socialise given they are ranked as the third most sociable place to study.
Make Portsmouth your home away from home
Whether you're in our halls of residence or renting in the city, when you join us you won't just study here, you'll make Portsmouth your home.
Wherever you choose to live, you'll become part of the local community. You'll discover Portsmouth is a bustling, easy-to-explore city with 4 miles of beaches and plenty of green spaces.
And because you can walk across the city in an hour, everything you need is within walking distance. The rest of the country is easy to reach too, thanks to our great transport links.
If you've already accepted a firm offer to study with us, you'll soon receive details of your accommodation options. If you haven't accepted yet, go firm on UCAS now. And if you're a new first-year student looking to rent a room, head to Studentpad.